[Geany-devel] Scintilla lexer property visibility - Re: Folding marks

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri Apr 8 16:43:36 UTC 2011

>From geany-users:

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 14:49:43 +0200
Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:

> >> Does this mean the geany defaults has changed? In my case, I haven't had a local filetypes.c yet.
> >
> > Yes. Commenting a brace and getting a new fold point can be confusing,
> > so it's off by default.
>
> BTW Nick, wouldn't it be better to move the property default to the
> filetypes.* rather than in the code? It'd remove a hard-coded default
> and would probably be easier for people to find it out.

I like the global default being off unless overridden by filetype files.

We could add (commented out) properties to all the filetype files, but
I'd rather we didn't have to maintain every property available for each
lexer.

One option would be to use the new SCI_PROPERTYNAMES messages:
http://scintilla.org/ScintillaDoc.html#SCI_PROPERTYNAMES

Not all lexers have been updated to support them yet, but perhaps they
could allow users to see what properties they could set; it could maybe
be implemented as a plugin.

Anyway, go ahead if you want to add e.g.:
#fold.cpp.comment.explicit=1

to the C lexer filetypes.

It's possible there are other hardcoded properties that could be in the
filetype files instead, but in this case I think a hardcoded default is
useful.

Regards,
Nick