[Geany-devel] [Patch] : On closing the last tab create new untitled document.

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at xxxxx
Thu Sep 23 18:18:11 UTC 2010

Hello Nick

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 7:37 PM, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
>> ..if a single _untitled_ tab is displayed. This is the way Opera
>> handles it, and that the behaviour that I find ergonomic in this case;
>> it allows to close the last titled document tab without the need to
>> close the app. As soon as the document gets modified or gets a title,
>> the 'x' should be restored. Midori, Xfce's web browser with 'always
>> show tabbar' enabled, behaves similarly to Opera, although it keeps a
>> non-functional 'x' even on the last empty tab; clicking on the last
>> empty tab doesn't close it/re-open another empty, so I guess the
>> unnecessary 'x' can be reported as a bug.
>
> The trouble is, it's difficult to tell if the document is 'modified',
> as that can include changing indent settings, encoding, etc, not
> necessarily a textual change.

I was thinking that this could be done whenever Geany reports an
'untitled' document as modified, for example when the tab name becomes
red and the 'save current file' is activated.

> I've now made a hidden pref* for this behaviour, off by default. It
> could be made into a GUI pref though.
>
> * new_document_after_close=true under [geany] in geany.conf.

Great! Thanks. I should check SVN now.
Liviu