[Geany-devel] [Patch] : On closing the last tab create new untitled document.

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at xxxxx
Wed Sep 22 11:43:15 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Jiří Techet <techet at gmail.com> wrote:
> And just to keep the number of people who like/dislike this feature
> balanced, I must say I rather dislike it :-). I find it strange when I
> press the 'x' button on the tab and the tab reopens again. I had a
> look at other editors and it works this way:
>
> * editors which have "x" button in the tab to close it do not
> automatically open empty document (gedit, codeblocks)
> * editors which don't use tabs or don't have close button in the tab
> open empty document
>
> In my opinion the only correct way to implement the automatic empty
> document opening is also to hide tab bar completely when only a single
> document is open (SciTE does it this way).

Personally I tend to prefer having the tabbar displayed at all times,
in most tabbed apps.

> Actually this would be also
> nice to save some extra space in the editor for the editing area if
> people are editing just a single document. Alternatively the "x"
> button should disappear if a single tab is displayed (firefox works
> this way).

..if a single _untitled_ tab is displayed. This is the way Opera
handles it, and that the behaviour that I find ergonomic in this case;
it allows to close the last titled document tab without the need to
close the app. As soon as the document gets modified or gets a title,
the 'x' should be restored. Midori, Xfce's web browser with 'always
show tabbar' enabled, behaves similarly to Opera, although it keeps a
non-functional 'x' even on the last empty tab; clicking on the last
empty tab doesn't close it/re-open another empty, so I guess the
unnecessary 'x' can be reported as a bug.

I'm not sure that this is all worth the effort, but I'd surely love if
Geany handled last, empty tabs this way. Regards
Liviu