[Geany-devel] [Patch] : On closing the last tab create new untitled document.

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Wed Sep 22 11:17:31 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 02:34, Colomban Wendling
<lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
> Le 22/09/2010 02:20, Erik de Castro Lopo a écrit :
>> Nick Treleaven wrote:
>>
>>> So closing the last new document doesn't create a new document straight
>>> away?
>>
>> Correct.
>>
>>> Are you sure you're running current SVN?
>>
>> Absolutely. I have checked. Twice.
> For me it works perfectly well (SVN r5250). I close the last tab, a new
> empty one opens right away.
>
>>> Anyway, Frank Lanitz has asked for a pref for this and personally I

>>> Gedit (2.20) does not do this. Do you have examples of a text
>>> editing app with this behaviour?
> I personally see the behavior Erik want as natural (don't know why), but
> I really don't care about it. That said, I don't see why it is be a
> problem since a single, fresh, empty tab is closed when opening a file.
> So perhaps: why *don't* do this?
> But again, I personally don't care.

And just to keep the number of people who like/dislike this feature
balanced, I must say I rather dislike it :-). I find it strange when I
press the 'x' button on the tab and the tab reopens again. I had a
look at other editors and it works this way:

* editors which have "x" button in the tab to close it do not
automatically open empty document (gedit, codeblocks)
* editors which don't use tabs or don't have close button in the tab
open empty document

In my opinion the only correct way to implement the automatic empty
document opening is also to hide tab bar completely when only a single
document is open (SciTE does it this way). Actually this would be also
nice to save some extra space in the editor for the editing area if
people are editing just a single document. Alternatively the "x"
button should disappear if a single tab is displayed (firefox works
this way).

That said, this is actually not a feature I care much about so can
stay the way it is if the majority of people prefer the current
behaviour.

Jiri