[Geany-devel] [Patch] : On closing the last tab create new untitled document.

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Tue Sep 21 16:54:36 UTC 2010

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 08:51:30 +1000
Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+tools at mega-nerd.com> wrote:

> > When opening a project file with project sessions enabled, the first
> > tab is always a new document, which shouldn't be there.
> >
> > Now committed a change with the idle callback.
>
> Unfortunately, this does work. With this version, closing the
> last document does not create a new untitled document, it just
> leaves me with the default gtk background colour. I'm not using
> project sessions BTW.

So closing the last new document doesn't create a new document straight
away?

Are you sure you're running current SVN?

Anyway, Frank Lanitz has asked for a pref for this and personally I
don't really like the behaviour. Earlier you said:

> This is simply what every other app I can think of that uses
> tabs does when the last tab is closed.

Gedit (2.20) does not do this. Do you have examples of a text
editing app with this behaviour?

> With this patch applied
> geany also has the same look after the last tab is closed as
> when geany is run without any files on the command line.

I think the original behaviour is correct, so users can start an
instance and paste or work on a new text file. Always forcing a new
text file though might not be what users want, and it's not hard to
press Ctrl-N.

Regards,
Nick