[Geany-devel] editor context menu - Re: Search submenu for editor popup menu

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu Sep 16 11:57:47 UTC 2010

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 09:54:09 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> 2. let the user pick say four most used top level commands since we
> >> are *never* going to agree on them.  Use a simplified version of the
> >> customise toolbar dialog.
> >
> > Personally I don't think it's worth doing this. Put the most useful
> > things at toplevel, everything else in submenus.
>
> Ah but whats the most useful?

Things which are useful for the largest number of users. There is also
an issue of letting new users discover some useful things easily that
they might not know Geany does.

>  I *never* use insert comments from the popup and rarely from the menu
> (changelog mostly) so for me having any insert comments in the popup
> is a waste of space.

Which is why a single Insert submenu would be better.

> I'm not suggesting its required, but if someone out there has the time
> to implement it this would remove all the disagreements :-)

Is it so bad to solve the disagreements using submenus?

This avoids maintenance and code complexity of popup configurability,
which I predict isn't going to be pretty. C is not a good GUI language.

> >> 3. pack the rest in submenus.
> >
> >> format > format submenu as now
> >
> > What about Commands - at least half of these are context related.
> >
> >> insert > insert submenu including the insert comments
> >
> > I think at least me and Enrico use insert comments a lot, we'd like it
> > to be toplevel. The other insert items could maybe be in a submenu
> > (also insert alt whitespace). This would be like having Go to Tag
> > Definition in toplevel but Go to Tag Declaration in a submenu as it's
> > less common.
>
> And I of course use the tool differently so I don't want any inserts

Did you see my Insert submenu reply?

> and use go to declaration much more than go to definition due to the
> language I use most :-).

Correct me if wrong, but Go to declaration is only needed for function
prototypes and extern declarations, no? The feature is only useful for
C/C++, not for most users. So having to find it in the proposed popup
Search submenu is acceptable, no?

> For all user names : [insert name here] uses it differently again so
> almost no one is fully happy with a fixed menu.

As mentioned above, I'm not trying to force my preferences on anyone.
I'm trying to find a good default that is reasonable (but not ideal)
for everyone.

Regards,
Nick