[Geany-devel] editor context menu - Re: Search submenu for editor popup menu

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Sep 15 23:54:09 UTC 2010

Hey Nick,

On 16 September 2010 00:33, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 11:15:23 +1000
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As noted in another response, IAW Gnome HIG right click popups S/B
>> context related things.
>
> What does S/B mean?

Sorry "should be" I was in a hurry so more acronyms than usual.

>> FWIW I'd:
>>
>> 1. remove undo/redo/select all as they are not context related
>
> Then are common editor popup menu commands though - gedit and Scite
> have them. nedit has undo/redo and mousepad has select all.
>
> I'm not particularly opposed to removing them, just mentioning that
> some users will expect to see them there.

Ok, well lets see what others think.

>> 2. let the user pick say four most used top level commands since we
>> are *never* going to agree on them.  Use a simplified version of the
>> customise toolbar dialog.
>
> Personally I don't think it's worth doing this. Put the most useful
> things at toplevel, everything else in submenus.

Ah but whats the most useful?

 I *never* use insert comments from the popup and rarely from the menu
(changelog mostly) so for me having any insert comments in the popup
is a waste of space.

I'm not suggesting its required, but if someone out there has the time
to implement it this would remove all the disagreements :-)

>> 3. pack the rest in submenus.
>
>> format > format submenu as now
>
> What about Commands - at least half of these are context related.
>
>> insert > insert submenu including the insert comments
>
> I think at least me and Enrico use insert comments a lot, we'd like it
> to be toplevel. The other insert items could maybe be in a submenu
> (also insert alt whitespace). This would be like having Go to Tag
> Definition in toplevel but Go to Tag Declaration in a submenu as it's
> less common.

And I of course use the tool differently so I don't want any inserts
and use go to declaration much more than go to definition due to the
language I use most :-).

For all user names : [insert name here] uses it differently again so
almost no one is fully happy with a fixed menu.

>> search > find items and as you say search selected
>> goto > open file, goto line etc
>
> Personally I would combine search and goto, that way we can share a
> GtkMenu widget between the search menu and popup menu. This is a good
> strategy because we don't have to maintain two separate menus if most
> items are needed in each.

Good idea.