[Geany-devel] editor context menu - Re: Search submenu for editor popup menu

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Wed Sep 15 14:33:50 UTC 2010

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 11:15:23 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> As noted in another response, IAW Gnome HIG right click popups S/B
> context related things.

What does S/B mean?

> FWIW I'd:
>
> 1. remove undo/redo/select all as they are not context related

Then are common editor popup menu commands though - gedit and Scite
have them. nedit has undo/redo and mousepad has select all.

I'm not particularly opposed to removing them, just mentioning that
some users will expect to see them there.

> 2. let the user pick say four most used top level commands since we
> are *never* going to agree on them.  Use a simplified version of the
> customise toolbar dialog.

Personally I don't think it's worth doing this. Put the most useful
things at toplevel, everything else in submenus.

> 3. pack the rest in submenus.

> format > format submenu as now

What about Commands - at least half of these are context related.

> insert > insert submenu including the insert comments

I think at least me and Enrico use insert comments a lot, we'd like it
to be toplevel. The other insert items could maybe be in a submenu
(also insert alt whitespace). This would be like having Go to Tag
Definition in toplevel but Go to Tag Declaration in a submenu as it's
less common.

> search > find items and as you say search selected
> goto > open file, goto line etc

Personally I would combine search and goto, that way we can share a
GtkMenu widget between the search menu and popup menu. This is a good
strategy because we don't have to maintain two separate menus if most
items are needed in each.

Regards,
Nick