[Geany-devel] Search submenu for editor popup menu

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Sep 15 01:15:23 UTC 2010

On 15 September 2010 00:16, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I propose we add a new menubar Search submenu which is also shown in
> the popup editor menu. This would be similar to what we do for the Edit
> submenu items Format and Commands.
>
> Reasoning:
>
> 1. We can help new users to find all the various keybinding commands
> grouped into logical submenus.
> 2. We keep the popup editor menu smaller (but make it easy for
> upgrading users to find the old Find Document Usage and Go to Tag
> Declaration items [which are currently in the Search menubar]).
> 3. We keep the menubar Search menu smaller than current HEAD.
> 4. Sharing the submenu means we only need one actual GtkMenu widget
> (this is already done for the Edit submenus).
>
> The new submenu would have both Find Usage items and both Go to Tag
> items (even though one of each are shown in the toplevel popup menu
> for speed).
>
> Logically, probably the Search->Find Selected items should be moved to
> the submenu also.
>
> There are also Go to Marker commands in the Edit->Commands menu which
> would fit better in the new submenu, and other 'Go to' keybindings which
> don't have menu items.
>
> Thoughts?

As noted in another response, IAW Gnome HIG right click popups S/B
context related things.

FWIW I'd:

1. remove undo/redo/select all as they are not context related

2. let the user pick say four most used top level commands since we
are *never* going to agree on them.  Use a simplified version of the
customise toolbar dialog.

3. pack the rest in submenus.

Thus we get:

user 1
user 2
user 3
user 4
--------
cut
copy
paste
delete
-------
format > format submenu as now
insert > insert submenu including the insert comments
search > find items and as you say search selected
goto > open file, goto line etc

That gives a total top level of 12 which is ok