[Geany-devel] Remove 3 popup menu items to save space

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Sep 15 00:58:36 UTC 2010

On 14 September 2010 21:17, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:59:54 +1000

>> > I'd also have kept this one, moreover because it's tedious to reproduce
>> > it (needs to open find dialog, then select the right search type), but
>> > its not really big deal (even though it's sometime hard to find the
>> > right match when all opened files appears.

>> > Even though I haven't the verve Lex had on this, I wonder if I won't
>> > miss it. And again, is there an easy way to reproduce its comportment? I
>> > don't find this in any other menu.
>
> Of course. I wouldn't remove menu items without putting them somewhere
> else. They're in the Search menu. (And available with keybindings).

Ok, I missed that change.

>> > I doubt it was discussed, and I perfectly understand it. I don't think
>> > Nick thought it worth a complex discussion with the "community" for
>> > removing 3 items. But huh, it seems to haven't pleased everybody :)
>
> People used to looking in a certain place would rather it was kept. But
> the popup menu was *far too big*.

Total ACK, just disagreeing about *which* bits should be removed :-)

> The bug item was wrongly reported at geany-plugins:
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=1056535&aid=3044798&group_id=222729

>> > For this one I completely agree. I don't know why it was there since
>> > it's in the find menu, have a shortcut by default, and I don't think
>> > it's a contextual action.
>> >
>> > This said, I'd personally rather removed the three "insert" sub-menus:
>> > they exists in the edit menu, and I never used them from the contextual
>> > menu.
>>
>> Good suggestion, I completely agree.
>>
>> I would expect these to be used far less than the find actions, so
>
> I use 'Insert Comments' a lot. The Format and Commands are editing
> things, and as submenus pack a lot of functionality into a small space.
> The popup menu is for quicker access to editing things.

Popups are context menus, they should present all common functions
related to the current context, ie the position the cursor goes to
when the right button is clicked.  That means not just edit commands,
also search or others that relate to the current context.  (see Gnome
HIG)