[Geany-devel] Search submenu for editor popup menu

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Tue Sep 14 14:16:03 UTC 2010

Hi,
I propose we add a new menubar Search submenu which is also shown in
the popup editor menu. This would be similar to what we do for the Edit
submenu items Format and Commands.

Reasoning:

1. We can help new users to find all the various keybinding commands
grouped into logical submenus.
2. We keep the popup editor menu smaller (but make it easy for
upgrading users to find the old Find Document Usage and Go to Tag
Declaration items [which are currently in the Search menubar]).
3. We keep the menubar Search menu smaller than current HEAD.
4. Sharing the submenu means we only need one actual GtkMenu widget
(this is already done for the Edit submenus).

The new submenu would have both Find Usage items and both Go to Tag
items (even though one of each are shown in the toplevel popup menu
for speed).

Logically, probably the Search->Find Selected items should be moved to
the submenu also.

There are also Go to Marker commands in the Edit->Commands menu which
would fit better in the new submenu, and other 'Go to' keybindings which
don't have menu items.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Nick