[Geany-devel] Remove 3 popup menu items to save space

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Tue Sep 14 11:17:21 UTC 2010

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:59:54 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Gives a lot of rubbish I didn't want, but can live with it.
> > I'd also have kept this one, moreover because it's tedious to reproduce
> > it (needs to open find dialog, then select the right search type), but
> > its not really big deal (even though it's sometime hard to find the
> > right match when all opened files appears.

> >> Hi Nick,
> >>
> >> Dissagree strongly about removing go to tag declaration.
> >>
> >> Goto tag declaration is very much used in C++ because it gets the
> >> whole class declaration, not just the implementation of the specific
> >> function.  To find the class in the symbols list I have to remember
> >> its name which is often not visible at the point of function use.  And
> >> of course overloaded functions can have several declarations in
> >> several classes.
> >>
> >> I can see the point for C but it is very useful for other languages.
> > Even though I haven't the verve Lex had on this, I wonder if I won't
> > miss it. And again, is there an easy way to reproduce its comportment? I
> > don't find this in any other menu.

Of course. I wouldn't remove menu items without putting them somewhere
else. They're in the Search menu. (And available with keybindings).

> >> I can't find anywhere where this change was discussed with users, but
> >> maybe thats just my search fu.
> > I doubt it was discussed, and I perfectly understand it. I don't think
> > Nick thought it worth a complex discussion with the "community" for
> > removing 3 items. But huh, it seems to haven't pleased everybody :)

People used to looking in a certain place would rather it was kept. But
the popup menu was *far too big*.

The bug item was wrongly reported at geany-plugins:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=1056535&aid=3044798&group_id=222729

> > For this one I completely agree. I don't know why it was there since
> > it's in the find menu, have a shortcut by default, and I don't think
> > it's a contextual action.
> >
> > This said, I'd personally rather removed the three "insert" sub-menus:
> > they exists in the edit menu, and I never used them from the contextual
> > menu.
>
> Good suggestion, I completely agree.
>
> I would expect these to be used far less than the find actions, so

I use 'Insert Comments' a lot. The Format and Commands are editing
things, and as submenus pack a lot of functionality into a small space.
The popup menu is for quicker access to editing things.

> there is less loss in not having them in the context menu compared to
> the find options, especially as they actually exist somewhere else
> (the edit menu) and the find options don't.
>
> If you really want to take the find options out of the context menu,
> why not put them in the search menu, though the context menu makes
> more sense since they relate to the current cursor position.

I put them in the Search menu before this commit.

Regards,
Nick