[Geany-devel] SF.net SVN: geany:[5223] trunk

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Tue Sep 14 01:24:39 UTC 2010

Hi,

Le 14/09/2010 00:57, Lex Trotman a écrit :
> On 14 September 2010 00:39,  <ntrel at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>> [...]
>> Remove 3 popup menu items to save space:
>> Find Document Usage because Find Usage can be used instead.
>
> Gives a lot of rubbish I didn't want, but can live with it.
I'd also have kept this one, moreover because it's tedious to reproduce
it (needs to open find dialog, then select the right search type), but
its not really big deal (even though it's sometime hard to find the
right match when all opened files appears.

>> Go to Tag Declaration because Go to Tag Definition is more common.
>
> Hi Nick,
>
> Dissagree strongly about removing go to tag declaration.
>
> Goto tag declaration is very much used in C++ because it gets the
> whole class declaration, not just the implementation of the specific
> function.  To find the class in the symbols list I have to remember
> its name which is often not visible at the point of function use.  And
> of course overloaded functions can have several declarations in
> several classes.
>
> I can see the point for C but it is very useful for other languages.
Even though I haven't the verve Lex had on this, I wonder if I won't
miss it. And again, is there an easy way to reproduce its comportment? I
don't find this in any other menu.

> I can't find anywhere where this change was discussed with users, but
> maybe thats just my search fu.
I doubt it was discussed, and I perfectly understand it. I don't think
Nick thought it worth a complex discussion with the "community" for
removing 3 items. But huh, it seems to haven't pleased everybody :)

>> Go to Line because the toolbar item can be used instead.
For this one I completely agree. I don't know why it was there since
it's in the find menu, have a shortcut by default, and I don't think
it's a contextual action.

This said, I'd personally rather removed the three "insert" sub-menus:
they exists in the edit menu, and I never used them from the contextual
menu.
I don't use "format" and "commands" sub-menus neither (I use all the
entries, but via the shortcuts only) and they are also in the edit menu,
but I think they're probably more commonly used.

That's it, my two cents.

Regards,
Colomban