[Geany-devel] g_file_replace_contents patch - Re: Safe file saving - permissions issue

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri Sep 10 14:35:59 UTC 2010

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 12:10:13 +0100
Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 03:51:18 +0400
> Алексей Антипов <1a_antipov at mail.ru> wrote:
>
> > Please find the patch in attachment. When building with GIO, it would use g_file_replace_contents
>
> I think this is a good idea (but haven't tested it as I don't have
> GIO). However, I don't think we should change the meaning of the 'safe
> file saving' pref. What if there's a bug in GIO? At least we know that
> pref doesn't lose data.

I've still been using a GLib 2.14 system (so haven't personally tested
this), but I think we ought to try using GIO for document saving as it
may fix the network file truncation problems.

I attach an edited version of Алексей's patch, which doesn't make
backups. Please test - if GIO saving is used then you should see a
debug message "Using GIO to save: /path/foo.c" on saving.
File permissions hopefully will be maintained.

I suggest we apply it (but maybe with a new hidden pref
use_old_file_saving if we include it in a release, in case it doesn't
work for some people).

Алексей: I know it's a long time later, but 2 questions:
1. Where is HAVE_GIO defined? Should we use a version check for GLib
2.16 instead?
2. I'm assuming there's no need to free the GFile from
g_file_new_for_path?

Also just to mention: we don't use C++ style comments and don't allow
variable declarations after code (g_return_val_if_fail) for portability
- that's also my purpose in editing the patch.

Regards,
Nick