[Geany-devel] File type icons?

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Tue Oct 26 18:15:39 UTC 2010

Le 26/10/2010 19:42, Nick Treleaven a écrit :
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 02:30:27 +0200
> Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
>
>> 0003-Add-filetype-specific-icon-to-the-document-list-side.patch
>>  * Use filetype's icon in the Document sidebar as the file's icon.
>>    Depends on the previous patch, 0002-Add-filetype-icon.patch.
>>
>> 0003-Add-filetype-icon-to-the-editor-notebook-popup.patch:
>>  * Display filetype's icon in the notebook's editor popup menu. Depends
>>    on 0002-Add-filetype-icon.patch.
>
> Committed both, thanks. I haven't tested them on GTK 2.18 yet.
>
>> 0002-Add-MIME-type-filtering-in-file-chooser-dialog.patch:
>>  * Very short patch, adds MIME-type based filtering for file filtering.
>
> Not sure about this. So file extensions not known by Geany but known by
> system mime type can be recognised when opening files with the file
> chooser? I think that might be inconsistent with opening files in other
> ways.
True, it might be a bit strange for the user... The idea I had is that
it brings us the system MIME-type detection mechanism, so e.g. a web
page without extension would be recognized as HTML; and I'd think Geany
would do somewhat compatible detection after opening the file -- e.g. it
detects the HTML files as HTML even without extension.

But I totally understand your remark, and I quite agree with it. So...
perhaps it wasn't a good idea, not sure either.

Regards,
Colomban