[Geany-devel] "Ensure new line on file end" inserts new line when file is empty

Eugene Arshinov earshinov at xxxxx
Sat Oct 16 12:21:02 UTC 2010

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 22:37:29 +1100%
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16 October 2010 22:11, Eugene Arshinov <earshinov at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 22:04:33 +1100%
> > Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I'm a bit confused, why turn on the preference in that case?
> >
> > If I turn it off and write some text, for example
> >
> >  int main(int argc, char **argv){
> >    return 0;
> >  }
> >
> > , and do not manually insert a newline, wc -l will return 2 which (I
> > believe) would be incorrect as there are 3 lines of code here.
>
> Ok, so wc counts newlines, not lines, I can't say I've looked that
> closely at it (or its documentation :-).  But this argues that if the
> option is set then Geany is correct in adding a newline, then it would
> count right. But that is just one tool.
>
> I think we are, as we say here, getting our wires a bit crossed.
>
> What I'm expressing badly is that if a file ends in a newline you can
> consider that there is nothing after that, or you can consider that it
> has an empty unterminated line after the newline. Similarly an empty
> file has no lines or it has one unterminated empty line.  Geany takes
> the empty unterminated line view, since a new "untitled" shows one
> line on screen.  But neither interpretation is "right", it depends on
> what you are using the file for and what the tools expect.

This is absolutely correct.

> My argument is that, if someone (eg me) selects that I want my file to
> end in newline (which is what the preference says) then thats what it
> should do, irrespective of any interpretation or the length of the
> file.

I understand what you mean and agree that this point of view is
meaningful.

My argument for unterminated lines view is that
1) Geany already uses this view in one aspect, as you wrote (and I
agree)
2) and so, to my knowledge, do most text utilities like wc (they do not
process last line if it is unterminated)

From this point of view, it's logical that Geany should never insert
unterminated empty lines, either if file is empty or when it already
contains trailing newline.

By the way, there is another argument for your point of view and
current behaviour.  The code of editor_ensure_final_newline() is quite
old (it was inserted to utils.c in "Initial import" commit, rev 4) and
may be already considered a feature :-)

> >> What I
> >> don't see is your patch checking the preference?
> >
> > The function is called only when the preference is turned on.  See
> > document_save_file() where editor_ensure_final_newline() is called.
>

> Oh Ok fine, I'm not at my development machine with all Geany source.

No problem.

Best regards,
Eugene.