[Geany-devel] GIO file monitor - Re: Changed file saving implementation for systems with GIO

Eugene Arshinov earshinov at xxxxx
Tue Nov 30 08:51:32 UTC 2010

Hello Enrico, Lex, and Nick :)

Sorry for the delay.

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 12:26:22 +0000%
Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 09:18:56 +1100
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I'm not surprised this code broke. I don't maintain it anymore and
> > > didn't expect anyone is still using it.
> > > I even think we should remove it as it never really worked as it
> > > should, AFAIR.
> > > The only reason I didn't yet remove is that it is hard for me as I
> > > spent so much time on it :). But as I don't have time to spend on
> > > it to get it actually working, we either remove it or someone
> > > else wants to maintain/improve/fix it.

I turned on the #define only for an experiment, and it worked nicely
for me (maybe because I don't use remote filesystems).  I like that
updated files are colored, so I can easily see which are
changed/removed (btw, "Reload all" command would be useful).  The code
broke only after g_file_replace_contents was introduced because the
code didn't account that there can be several change notifications for
single "write".  The not-so-large patch I attached fixes this bug.

> > > But as said, so far, I'm not surprised it's dead and I don't care
> > > about fixing it. Sorry.
> >
> > Well, Eugenes solution looks ok,  if he provides a clean patch with
> > the last things discussed it could be applied to unstable for
> > testing.

You mean changing from "doc->priv->mtime < st.st_mtime" to
"doc->priv->mtime != st.st_mtime"?  Yes, as I already wrote before, I
think it's meaningful, so I'll send an updated patch if needed.

Also, if we check mtime on change notification, maybe we no longer need
FILE_IGNORE constant.  This will cost us an additional mtime check.

> Yes, or perhaps it could go to trunk - I think USE_GIO_FILEMON is not
> documented anywhere so it shouldn't affect ordinary users.

I agree :)

Best regards,
Eugene.