[Geany-devel] Missing environment variables for builds and executes

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Nov 24 23:36:51 UTC 2010

2010/11/25 Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 10:15:00 +0800, Chow wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday 17,November,2010 10:40 AM, Lex Trotman wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> When Geany is started from the Gnome menu it doesn't get environment
>>> variables set in .profile, .bashrc etc.  Other window managers seem
>>> ok.
>>>
>>> This means that builds don't see CFLAGS, python executes don't see
>>> PYTHONPATH etc :-(
>>>
>>> Although builds and executes run in shells, a non-interactive shell
>>> does not load any startup files.
>>>
>>> The attached patch adds the option (-l) to run the build and execute
>>> shells as login shells which will load startup files.
>>>
>>> Two hidden prefs build_in_login_shell and exec_in_login_shell allow
>>> you to disable this for builds or executes respectively if running
>>> your startup scripts causes some problem.
>>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I actually believe that on some distros .bashrc/.profile is sourced by
>>default on gdm, and on others, .xprofile is used for this purpose. I
>>don't think a login shell or interactive shell should be used for this
>>purpose though.
>
> I agree completely.
> If Ubuntu messed up with their system, it's their problem. Why should
> we fix Ubuntu's or Gnome's mistakes in Geany?
> In other, less harsh words, I think an applicaton should not fix the
> problems in the outer environment.

Thats very harsh for the poor Ubuntu users who didn't cause the
problem themselves, especially as it causes significant problems eg I
couldn't compile Geany with any CFLAGS, no wonder I kept missing
warnings :-(

But since Chow fixed the problem I forgive you :-)