[Geany-devel] Missing environment variables for builds and executes

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Nov 24 19:06:31 UTC 2010

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 10:15:00 +0800, Chow wrote:

>On Wednesday 17,November,2010 10:40 AM, Lex Trotman wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When Geany is started from the Gnome menu it doesn't get environment
>> variables set in .profile, .bashrc etc.  Other window managers seem
>> ok.
>>
>> This means that builds don't see CFLAGS, python executes don't see
>> PYTHONPATH etc :-(
>>
>> Although builds and executes run in shells, a non-interactive shell
>> does not load any startup files.
>>
>> The attached patch adds the option (-l) to run the build and execute
>> shells as login shells which will load startup files.
>>
>> Two hidden prefs build_in_login_shell and exec_in_login_shell allow
>> you to disable this for builds or executes respectively if running
>> your startup scripts causes some problem.
>
>Hi,
>
>I actually believe that on some distros .bashrc/.profile is sourced by
>default on gdm, and on others, .xprofile is used for this purpose. I
>don't think a login shell or interactive shell should be used for this
>purpose though.

I agree completely.
If Ubuntu messed up with their system, it's their problem. Why should
we fix Ubuntu's or Gnome's mistakes in Geany?
In other, less harsh words, I think an applicaton should not fix the
problems in the outer environment.

Lex, above you said yourself, other window managers (I assume other
than metacity or compiz), work ok. So, that's a pretty good argument to
*not* fix it in Geany.

And yes, I noticed you already solved the problem for your system :).