[Geany-devel] Missing environment variables for builds and executes

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Nov 24 03:27:57 UTC 2010

On 24 November 2010 13:15, Chow Loong Jin <hyperair at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 17,November,2010 10:40 AM, Lex Trotman wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When Geany is started from the Gnome menu it doesn't get environment
>> variables set in .profile, .bashrc etc.  Other window managers seem
>> ok.
>>
>> This means that builds don't see CFLAGS, python executes don't see
>> PYTHONPATH etc :-(
>>
>> Although builds and executes run in shells, a non-interactive shell
>> does not load any startup files.
>>
>> The attached patch adds the option (-l) to run the build and execute
>> shells as login shells which will load startup files.
>>
>> Two hidden prefs build_in_login_shell and exec_in_login_shell allow
>> you to disable this for builds or executes respectively if running
>> your startup scripts causes some problem.
>
> Hi,
>
> I actually believe that on some distros .bashrc/.profile is sourced by default
> on gdm, and on others, .xprofile is used for this purpose.

@Chow,

cp .profile .xprofile

fixed it, thanks.

@Nick forget the patch.

 I don't think a login
> shell or interactive shell should be used for this purpose though.

Agree it shouldn't be interactive, after all we don't want prompts everywhere.

> Perhaps what could be done would be to allow build environment variables to be
> customized in Geany?

No, commands started in Geany should work exactly as they do from the
command line, manually setting up the environment in two places is too
error prone (especially for me :-).