[Geany-devel] Missing environment variables for builds and executes

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Nov 23 21:42:18 UTC 2010

On 24 November 2010 03:15, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 13:40:42 +1100
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> When Geany is started from the Gnome menu it doesn't get environment
>> variables set in .profile, .bashrc etc.  Other window managers seem
>> ok.
>
> According to:
> http://www.mkssoftware.com/docs/man1/sh.1.asp#Options_and_Invocation
>
> ~/.bashrc is run even for a non-login shell
> ~/.profile is run only for login shells
>
> Maybe that's why we experience different behaviour - I use bashrc not
> profile. Could be that the Window Manager isn't relevant?

No.

1. the actual environment variables are set in .bashrc & .profile just
calls that

2. Your reference above isn't clear that a non-interactive shell
invoked as sh only loads the BASH_ENV file and none of the others but
official Gnu docs are, see section 6.2 in:

http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bashref.html#Invoking-Bash