[Geany-devel] Missing environment variables for builds and executes

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Tue Nov 23 16:01:52 UTC 2010

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 13:40:42 +1100
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> When Geany is started from the Gnome menu it doesn't get environment
> variables set in .profile, .bashrc etc.  Other window managers seem
> ok.
>
> This means that builds don't see CFLAGS, python executes don't see
> PYTHONPATH etc :-(
>
> Although builds and executes run in shells, a non-interactive shell
> does not load any startup files.
>
> The attached patch adds the option (-l) to run the build and execute
> shells as login shells which will load startup files.
>
> Two hidden prefs build_in_login_shell and exec_in_login_shell allow
> you to disable this for builds or executes respectively if running
> your startup scripts causes some problem.

Unfortunately I don't know that a shell login argument is portable. I
think -l is specific to bash, but even --login doesn't work for dash
(the default /bin/sh on Ubuntu IIRC).

We could have string prefs for what arguments to pass to
build/execute, empty by default.

Nick