[Geany-devel] geany-plugins depends on GIO - plugin API

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Mon Nov 22 12:55:32 UTC 2010

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 08:24:13 +1100
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> , but I don't really think we should add accessors for
> >> all fields.
>
> @Nick,
>
> Well you have in the past commented negatively about making structures
> visible.  As you sagely said either you constrain your implementation
> or yuo have to spend the effort "faking" the structure for plugin
> purposes.

It depends on what fields we're talking about. For a getter function
for a pref, there's not much you can do if the behaviour of the pref
changes or the pref is removed, the function will be no better than
the field.

Getting groups of prefs is different. One solution for overridden prefs
is editor_get_indent_prefs():
http://www.geany.org/manual/reference/editor_8h.html#db89e1ea679531fb35ba13efa2c93eda

Perhaps this would be a good approach for other pref groups.

Fields in the API generally should not be set. There is a stronger
argument for adding setter functions than getter functions, if plugins
need to set something.

> I'm not saying any of this needs to happen yesterday, but if we don't
> start thinking about it nothing will ever happen.  And as more plugins
> are being made, adding significant capability to Geany  the problems
> of updating them in sync will get worse.

Nick