[Geany-devel] geany-plugins depends on GIO - plugin API

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Nov 21 21:24:13 UTC 2010

On 21 November 2010 09:44, Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 18:37:37 +0000
> Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 09:56:21 +1100
>> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Just structures (ie each pointer in GeanyData), no need to protect
>> > individual members because over time structures should be removed from
>> > the API because they expose implementation details that are then
>> > frozen.  They should use accessors to read/write only the information
>> > the plugin needs and new fields should be exposed that way rather than
>> > in the structures.
>>
>> I haven't been following this thread (subject no longer applies,
>> methinks)

True :-)

, but I don't really think we should add accessors for
>> all fields.

@Nick,

Well you have in the past commented negatively about making structures
visible.  As you sagely said either you constrain your implementation
or yuo have to spend the effort "faking" the structure for plugin
purposes.

I'm not saying any of this needs to happen yesterday, but if we don't
start thinking about it nothing will ever happen.  And as more plugins
are being made, adding significant capability to Geany  the problems
of updating them in sync will get worse.

> After thinking a bit more about this during weekend, I agree.

@Frank,

Could you share your reasoning please?