[Geany-devel] backup pref - Re: Changed file saving implementation for systems with GIO

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu Nov 18 19:04:29 UTC 2010

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 08:57:51 +1100
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> To summarise the long thread for you Nick, g_file_replace_contents and
> >> g_file_replace can't be used because there is NO WAY to stop
> >> g_stream_close doing the rename of the temp file over the old file
> >> even if the write to the temp file fails.  So you can get a broken
> >> output file.
> >
> > I know. But at the least the user has the backup file then.
>
> Attached is a patch to actually make the backup :-)

Ok. We do have some backup functionality in the Save Actions plugin,
but anyway this pref may be more efficient.

I think either:
1. unsafe_save_backup should be renamed to gio_unsafe_save_backup to
avoid confusion.
2. call the pref make_backup and make it work for all save
implementations, and maybe have a GUI option for it.

Nick