[Geany-devel] Geany FTW - better autocompletion

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Nov 17 22:45:54 UTC 2010

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 09:34:03 +1100, Lex wrote:

>On 18 November 2010 04:05, Colomban Wendling
><lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
>> Le 17/11/2010 15:54, Nick Treleaven a écrit :

>>> I don't think anyone's working on that ATM. There was some work to
>>> make Geany able to parse tags from memory instead of from disk, but
>>> it wasn't finished.
>> Well, I had an attempt a while ago to achieve this [1], but I didn't
>> finished it already. I used a small library I written for the
>> occasion, called MIO [2], that replicates C's file IO functions, but
>> allowing to choose between memory or file IO. This makes the
>> tagmanager update quite easy.
>>
>> BTW almost everything is done, but it needs someone to check whether
>> it actually work in memory and don't do some FILE I/O (if Geany
>> correctly demands memory IO, and if the tagmanager doesn't do extra
>> file IO). Unfortunately, I wasn't sure how to check for this...
>> (just thinking I may add a debug statement in my IO object creation
>> functions)
>
>You could try using strace to check what file IO is being done.

Yup. Or simply use stat(1) to check the atime (provided the filesystem
in use supports atime) of the opened file.
Though, Lex' suggestion is more secure and can be easily grepped :).

>> But I can try to bring this upper in my todo-list, and somebody with
>> better knowledge of the tagmanager (Enrico? Nick? :D) may want to
>> help :)

knowledge? me? no no.

Seriously, this looks interesting!
Great idea to create MIO!

Since MIO seems quite small (code-size), we maybe even could distribute
as static lib with Geany at the beginning and then a bit later once it
used and got stable, separate it as a standalone library.
If I only would have more time, I'd like to dig into this...