[Geany-devel] Geany FTW - better autocompletion

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Wed Nov 17 17:05:32 UTC 2010

Le 17/11/2010 15:54, Nick Treleaven a écrit :
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 17:32:01 +0100
> Simone Pellegrini <spellegrini at dps.uibk.ac.at> wrote:
>
>> I really like geany as it uses scintilla, the only feature I feel is
>> missing is the intellisense like code competition for C++. I would like
>> to ask if anyone is working on a better code competition for C++. I am
>> not talking about ctags but something more advanced that can give me
>> code hints on the fly without the need of rebuilding the index.
>
> I don't think anyone's working on that ATM. There was some work to make
> Geany able to parse tags from memory instead of from disk, but it
> wasn't finished.
Well, I had an attempt a while ago to achieve this [1], but I didn't
finished it already. I used a small library I written for the occasion,
called MIO [2], that replicates C's file IO functions, but allowing to
choose between memory or file IO. This makes the tagmanager update quite
easy.

BTW almost everything is done, but it needs someone to check whether it
actually work in memory and don't do some FILE I/O (if Geany correctly
demands memory IO, and if the tagmanager doesn't do extra file IO).
Unfortunately, I wasn't sure how to check for this... (just thinking I
may add a debug statement in my IO object creation functions)

But I can try to bring this upper in my todo-list, and somebody with
better knowledge of the tagmanager (Enrico? Nick? :D) may want to help :)

Regards,
Colomban

[1] http://gitorious.org/~ban/geany/bans-geany/commits/mio-tagmanager
[2] http://gitorious.org/mio