[Geany-devel] geany-plugins depends on GIO

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Nov 17 08:52:40 UTC 2010

> This is not existing in a general view. Also I'm not 100% sure where
> this would make sense as you should always you up to date API. Maybe you
> can bring a litle light into darkness with an example.

Frank,

As Geany is getting more and more functionality in plugins there needs
to be more thought in general about the need to lock Geany versions
and plugin versions.

If they are locked together then users can't upgrade Geany until their
plugins support the new version and can't upgrade plugins without
upgrading Geany.

As I said in another post, as Geany is used for more than C
development it is becoming less acceptable to assume that all users
can re-compile Geany or plugins so any system needs to work at runtime
as well as at compile time.

So there needs to be thought about how to allow any version of Geany
and any version of a plugin to continue to work as long as the
functions that they *use* have not been changed.  This means that a
single API/ABI number for the whole interface is not enough, it needs
to be per function.  Then smart plugin developers can make their
plugins adapt themselves at runtime to the features available from
Geany.