[Geany-devel] geany-plugins depends on GIO

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Tue Nov 16 16:11:39 UTC 2010

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 15:13:03 +0100
Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:

> Le 16/11/2010 09:23, Frank Lanitz a écrit :
> >
> > Well, agreed. In most cases it should work fine with compiled in
> > version number as most cases the API/ABI is changing with some
> > major release. But of course this will go into trouble with minor
> > releases as we had them with 0.19.1 or if anybody is remembering
> > the 10.x ones :)
> >
> > Well, however. I think a simple function which returns the version
> > string into plugin API would be enought or am I wrong? something
> > that is just doing a return GEANY_VERSION;
> I think it is better to return major, minor and micro version (or
> something that fits the versionning scheme) as plain integers.
> The advantage is that it becomes easy to use this version for any
> check, where a string is quite tedious to use.
>   geany_get_version(gint *major, gint *minor, gint *micro)
> for example, or 3 variables, not sure.

Well, even it looks a bit dirty in my eyes (maybe we can put this into a
struct) it would solve users from use the parsing over and over again
as I did inside updatechecker with
static void parse_version_string(const gchar *ver, gint *major, gint
*minor, gint *micro, gchar **extra)

So I'm pro ;)

Cheers,
FRank