[Geany-devel] geany-plugins depends on GIO

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Nov 15 21:58:02 UTC 2010

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 14:04:12 +0100, Colomban wrote:

>Le 30/10/2010 13:20, Frank Lanitz a écrit :
>> On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 13:01:07 +0200
>> Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de> wrote:

>>> Not yet, will have a look.
>>
>> OK, well. I guess my knowledge about make is too low here to fix this
>> issue. however, this is the error I can reproduce on my local test
>> system.
>>
>> make[1]: Entering directory
>> `/daten/quellen/git/geany-plugins/geany-plugins/geany-plugins-0.20/_build'
>> Making check in po make[2]: Entering directory
>> `/daten/quellen/git/geany-plugins/geany-plugins/geany-plugins-0.20/_build/po'
>> INTLTOOL_EXTRACT=/usr/bin/intltool-extract
>> srcdir=../../po /usr/bin/intltool-update --gettext-package
>> geany-plugins --pot xgettext: Öffnen der Datei
>> »../../po/../updatechecker/src/updatechecker.c« zum Lesen
>> fehlgeschlagen: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden ERROR:
>> xgettext failed to generate PO template file. Please consult error
>> message above if there is any. make[2]: *** [geany-plugins.pot]
>> Fehler 1 make[2]: Leaving directory
>> `/daten/quellen/git/geany-plugins/geany-plugins/geany-plugins-0.20/_build/po'
>> make[1]: *** [check-recursive] Fehler 1 make[1]: Leaving directory
>> `/daten/quellen/git/geany-plugins/geany-plugins/geany-plugins-0.20/_build'
>> make: *** [distcheck] Fehler 1
>I'd better understand with LANG=C :D
>
>Anyway, I searched a little and found the problem, and it's quite
>simple (no need to be a make guru): updatechecker is not integrated
>with the Autotools build system, so it doesn't get into the tarball of
>make dist. Then, make po fails from this tarball because it uses a
>file that doesn't exist.

Agreed.

>I join 2 patches:
>1) export GEANY_VERSION so it can be used in plugin's Makefiles

This would make it compiling but not working. At least not as it should.
If the plugin uses the GEANY_VERSION to detect the version of Geany to
check against newer versions, this would mean that it always checks
with a fixed version of Geany: those which was available at the system
where the plugin was compiled. This can be completely independent from
the system where Geany with the plugin loaded actually runs.

To solve the problem, I think it'd be necessary to read Geany's version
at *runtime* to really get the running version and not the compiled in
GEANY_VERSION macro. To do this, probably a new API function is
necessary (though I didn't really check if it might be possible
already).

I talked with Frank about this already in a private mail, also joining a
patch to integrate it in the autotools build. Now he has two patches to
choose :).