[Geany-devel] R Tags

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at xxxxx
Wed Nov 10 20:55:32 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 7:45 AM, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Step 1, if you open an R file do you get symbols in the sidebar?
>>>
>> Yes it does. Here on 0.20 (svn >= r5271).
>
> Step one tick :-)
>>

>>> This tests that Geany's R tag parser is in fact working.  But I'm not
>>> sure how much information it gathers, it looks pretty simple.
>>>
>>> Step 2.  to get tags for files that you don't want to have open all
>>> the time (eg libraries) you use geany -g tagfile rfile
>>>

> Did this step work?

No. I tested the functionality using a single R file (attached), and
it errors out.
sh>geany -g "/usr/local/build/R.tags"
"/usr/local/build/latticist/R/latticist.R"  (5603)
Failed to create tags file, perhaps because no tags were found.

sh>geany -g "/usr/local/build/R.tags" ... atticist/R/latticist.R"
(5603) returned '1'

Opening the file in Geany will correctly identify two tags (Functions,
in Symbols).

However, even if geany -g worked on .R files, the approach would be
difficult to apply in practice. It requires the user to specify .R
files, and given the structure of R packages this could be a quickly
become tedious. It would have been much easier if Geany accepted a
path in which it could recursively scan (and parse) R files. The
rtags() function can do that, so it might make sense to find a
conversion route for etags files.

> No, thats why I said you need to convert it yourself, sorry.  My
> googles of emacs tags format in the past have been somewhat
> unproductive, but maybe you can read the source.  Geany also doesn't
> document tagmanager format (the more complex of its two formats)
> either.

Unfortunately I haven't yet managed to get any output from rtags()
[2], pending a cry for help on r-help, so I couldn't post an example
(@Jon, did you have any luck with that?). But here's [1] what I found
as close as possible to a spec. Could you please take a look and let
us know whether there's some resemblance with the Geany format, for a
potential conversion route?

Thank you
Liviu

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ctags#Etags_2