[Geany-devel] Changed file saving implementation for systems with GIO

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Tue Nov 9 18:57:03 UTC 2010

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 20:28:43 +0200
Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com> wrote:

> With binary I/O we have fsync(), which really flushes the data.
> Even fflush() and fclose() are not guaranteed to do that.

Strange, why is that?

> Well, g_file_set_contents() uses buffered I/O, so obviously it's
> acceptable too.

Yes, it uses fwrite and then errno.

> But since we don't write the file line-by-line or
> something, _why_ do we use buffered I/O in the first place?..

I don't know. But changing implementation often introduces bugs, so
I'm reluctant to do so (besides fixing fclose failure).

Nick