[Geany-devel] Changed file saving implementation for systems with GIO

Jason Oster jason.oster at xxxxx
Fri Nov 5 18:18:19 UTC 2010

On 11/05/2010 12:07 PM, Dimitar Zhekov wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 10:57:23 -0700
> Jason Oster<jason.oster at campnavajo.com>  wrote:
>> At the risk of making an obvious suggestion, why not use "move/rename"
>> instead of "copy"?  (I searched the list archives and couldn't find
>> anything.)
>
> Because when you move/rename filename to filename~, and create a new
> filename, the permissions and links will be lost.

Understandable.  So you would end up with lost permissions/etc. on the
first backup, and lose even those on later backups.  Which is where the
safe glib method comes in, I suppose.  Thanks for the clarification.