[Geany-devel] Multiple instances of Geany issues

Dimitar Zhekov hamster at xxxxx
Sat May 22 13:16:31 UTC 2010

On Sat, 22 May 2010 21:15:59 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Speaking of NFS (I read the patch) O_EXCL is problematic [...]
>
> Thats correct, note I used g_open which seems to say that it works under
> windows as well. [...] the only potential problem is that it can be
> disabled by registery settings, according to Samba documentation anyway.

> > If the lock file is not successfully unlinked by Geany for some
> > reason, for example a broken NFS connection, it'll have to be deleted
> > manually. Well, that shoudn't be a big problem, but if there's some way
> > to avoid it...
> >

> Not that I'm aware of, anybody who knows any other way that works on *ix and
> Windows is welcome to suggest it.

Both on *ix and Win~1, hmmm...

It just occured to me, what if we write the configuration into
geany-some-unique-id.conf and then g_rename() it? Rename is an atomic
operation; on NFS, "you can not assume that if the operation failed
the file was not renamed" - well, we can emit a geany_debug() message
for this. Even if Win~1 g_rename() is somehow broken, a MoveFileEx (...,
MOVEFILE_REPLACE_EXISTING) will do.

We know that both entries are files, they are on the same filesystem,
and the destination file is writable - that eliminates almost any
possible rename error.

--
E-gards: Jimmy