[Geany-devel] altername session management implementation

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed May 19 21:15:40 UTC 2010

On Wed, 19 May 2010 14:17:52 +0300, Dimitar wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> This is an alternate implementation of Eugene's X11 session support.
> The main difference is that the state each running Geany is saved
> into a separate temporary Geany configuration file.
>
> Each Geany is restored exactly it was before the session was closed,
> including open files, options (including applied but unsaved),
> per-document options (even if no project file is open) etc.
>
> There are no races when saving geany.conf, it's not saved at all. If
> you want to save the options, so that the next Geany will use them,
> just go to the Geany you want the options from and save them,
> exactly as you would do before the session was closed.
>
> Should there be "main" and "option-saving" instances, which ones,
> and how should they differ from the "secondary" instances? As Eugene
> pointed out, this is not related to the session management, at least
> with this SM implementation.

Now we have two alternating SM implementations? Why?

As you say, the configuration save problem isn't strictly related to SM
and might be solved separately.
Though I'm not yet sure what's the best way to solve this. I think I
still like something close to the current behaviour: the main instance
(i.e. the first opened one) is master over the config file. And any
other instances are ignored.

I guess the main problem here is that Geany was never designed to be
used as multiple window editor, and IMO it shouldn't be changed to be
one.