[Geany-devel] Safe file saving - permissions issue

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat May 15 07:34:27 UTC 2010

On 15 May 2010 14:40, Jon Senior <jon at restlesslemon.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 May 2010 14:10:06 +1000
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Since it doesn't know the status of the directory the file was in or
> > even the whole filesystem, and finding out could cause long delays as
> > things time out, it is reasonable to ask the user where it is safe to
> > save the file.
>
> I agree. It is more than reasonable, it is to be praised. Better to
> harass the user a little than to risk losing data.
>
> > When a file of the same name re-appears the application can't know if
> > it is intended to be the same object, so it has to ask the user.
>
> Even after a reload. Here's the sequence of events (and this doesn't
> require a network drive to simulate)
>
> > touch foo.bar
> > geany foo.bar (assumes an existing session)
> [Edit file in geany and save using ctrl-s]
> > mv foo.bar bar.foo
> [Return to geany, you will be prompted that the file can no longer be
> found and offered a chance to save it. Choose cancel leaving the file
> open but marked as dirty]
> > mv bar.foo foo.bar
> [Return to geany and choose Reload. You will be asked to confirm and
> then the file is reloaded and it is no longer marked as dirty. Make a
> change and save with ctrl-s. You will now be presented with a "Save
> file" dialog]

I misunderstood, I thought you had said reloading stopped it showing a save
dialog.  I agree its superfluous if you have reloaded, and as I said I think
you should be able to tell Geany that its superfluous even if you didn't
reload.

> This is, I feel, broken logic. The file was marked as dirty but has
> been reloaded from disk. A file reloaded from disk should be no
> different from a file freshly loaded for the first time. This does not
> occur if the file is not moved temporarily. By choosing to reload, the
> user has already resynchronised the geany buffer with the file and thus
> re-established the link between the buffer and the file. This final
> prompt is (in my opinion) superfluous.
>
> Were it not for the painfully long opening time of the save dialog when
> dealing with a large networked directory of files, it would be a minor
> inconvenience, but while waiting for the dialog to open, you have time
> on your hands to think about this stuff! :-)

Heh heh, can't have users thinking now can we...

> I don't wish to be critical. This is, frankly, my only issue with geany
> (I'd love it if it could convert R to optimised C, but I don't think
> that fits into the description of a lightweight editor!)

Sounds more like the job description of a compiler :-)  but Geany can run
one of those for you if you can find one :-)

> . I know that
> I'll not have the time to track this down in the source for a while, so
> I'm putting it out there. I'm happy to submit a proper bug report if
> requested.

I'll have a look at the logic and how easy it is to change if no one beats
me to it in the next few days.