[Geany-devel] Positioning of new editor's tabs

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri May 14 13:53:58 UTC 2010

On Thu, 13 May 2010 11:06:31 +1000, Lex wrote:

> My 2c worth below.
>
> On 13 May 2010 09:54, Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to add the possibility for new editor's tabs to be
> > added before/after the current tab, since I'm often annoyed by tabs
> > added far from my working one. This is quite easy to do, but I have
> > some questions about how to make this a preference.
> >

> Personally I prefer it to come up in a fixed position, but thats why
> its controlled by a preference :-)

Agreed :).

> > Currently, the tab positioning (before/after all other tabs) is
> > controlled by the boolean preference tab_order_ltr. Fine, but not
> > to extend it. Then, I see two ways to go:
> > 1. Change this to an integer (or something) that represent an
> > enumeration: before all, before current, after all, after current.
> > 2. Add a second preference to choose whether the tabs are added
> > before/after the current or all tabs.
> >
> > I think that 1 is probably a little better from the user's point of
> > view (not sure), but it would probably be a pain to implement,
> > because it would need to change the type of a preference... the
> > problem is to keep compatibility with previous configuration
> > version.
> >
> > 2 is then probably the way to go;
>

> Agreed

+1.
Both ways shouldn't change how the user would control the preference in
the preferences dialog. But using a second pref in the code would make
it easier to keep compatibility though it isn't as clean. I still would
prefer way 2 too.

> > the pref UI could even hide the
> > complexity. But then, some question comes to my mind:
> > a. Which name give to this preference?
> >

> tab_order_beside then tab_order_ltr says which side.

Agreed.

> > b. How to show it to the user?
> >

> Placement of new tabs: X at end X beside current
>                                          X left       X right
>
> But then not everyone likes my UI designs :-)

Haha.
I attached a little mockup (and code) how I would realise it though it's
just my opinion. This doesn't mean it's better or worse than Lex'
proposal.