[Geany-devel] Positioning of new editor's tabs

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Wed May 12 23:54:22 UTC 2010

Hi,

I would like to add the possibility for new editor's tabs to be added
before/after the current tab, since I'm often annoyed by tabs added far
from my working one. This is quite easy to do, but I have some questions
about how to make this a preference.

Currently, the tab positioning (before/after all other tabs) is controlled
by the boolean preference tab_order_ltr. Fine, but not to extend it. Then,
I see two ways to go:
1. Change this to an integer (or something) that represent an enumeration:
before all, before current, after all, after current.
2. Add a second preference to choose whether the tabs are added
before/after the current or all tabs.

I think that 1 is probably a little better from the user's point of view
(not sure), but it would probably be a pain to implement, because it would
need to change the type of a preference... the problem is to keep
compatibility with previous configuration version.

2 is then probably the way to go; the pref UI could even hide the
complexity. But then, some question comes to my mind:
a. Which name give to this preference?
b. How to show it to the user?

Then as usual, I ask for your wise answers :)
And as a bonus question, what do you think of the feature?

Thanks!
Colomban

PS: I join a proposed implementation that lacks the preference but works
fine (as far as I can think/say/see).