[Geany-devel] opening/reloading template files - Re: Intro (and apology)

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu May 6 13:00:58 UTC 2010

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply (the thread subject wasn't too specific ;-))

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:26:23 +0100
Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> >> The feature request, if I interpret it correctly,  was for a new
> >> menu under Tools that listed all  template files so that they could
> >> be selected for editing, rather than climbing down through the
> >> directory browser to find them.  That is what I was proposing to
> >> work on.
> >>

> >Looking at it again, yes I agree with your interpretation.  Since the
> >tools menu is often extended by plugins maybe the templates need to be
> >a sub-menu rather than populating the top level tools menu with all
> >the standard and (unknown number of) user defined templates.  What do
> >others think?
>
> I think that would be cool, IMO should be realised as a plugin (which
> we could ship with Geany itself, though this is another topic).
> I'd say it the plugin should add a submenu to Tools->Configuration
> Files or directly into the Tools menu, I don't mind much.

I'm not sure if any work was started on this.

I've just made templates reload automatically when saving a document in
the user template path.

I think for opening template files (and other config files e.g.
filetypes) we could add a 'Tools->Configuration Files->Open' item that
just shows a file dialog starting in the user config directory.

Showing submenus with items for each file is OK IMO, but the file dialog
might be a simple solution and flexible.

Regards,
Nick