[Geany-devel] Geany 0.18 (configure.in) has hidden depends on 'which' utility.

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu Mar 25 18:11:15 UTC 2010

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 17:31:02 +0100
Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> >>It's that Geany is built in a clean chroot build environment along
> >>with only the compilers and libs required. ``which`` is not a
> >>necessary build requirement IMHO. We should have a portable, standard,
> >>``configure`` that can build Geany, not a system utility script that
> >>calls any arbitrary prog and forces users to figure out which ones are
> >>needed.
> >
> >The whole reason for using "which" was to be more portable. The
> >autoconf macros you mention are broken or at least not usable for
> >checking for a C++ compiler (or I'm too stupid, then they are just to
> >hard to use).
> >
> >As Nick said, if it is such an issue and you know it that better, we
> >would be happy about a sane patch to improve things.
>
> This patch actually reduced portability.
>
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=787791&aid=2973764&group_id=153444
>
> Solutions would be welcome.

I think we should just revert the change. Depending on 'which' is not
too bad. I wish I hadn't committed it now ;-/

In the original use case, perhaps they could just copy 'which' into the
chroot environment.

Regards,
Nick