[Geany-devel] Geany 0.18 (configure.in) has hidden depends on 'which' utility.

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Mar 21 22:04:34 UTC 2010

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 10:53:25 +1100, Lex wrote:

>2010/3/21 Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>

>> >The whole reason for using "which" was to be more portable. The
>> >autoconf macros you mention are broken or at least not usable for
>> >checking for a C++ compiler (or I'm too stupid, then they are just
>> >to hard to use).
>> >
>> >As Nick said, if it is such an issue and you know it that better, we
>> >would be happy about a sane patch to improve things.
>>
>> This patch actually reduced portability.
>>

>> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=787791&aid=2973764&group_id=153444
>>
>> Solutions would be welcome.
>>

>Hi Enrico,
>
>As you know I'm AC_phobic but, as I understand the comment in

Same here :).

>configure.acthe idea is to actually confirm that AC_PROG_CXX found the
>right thing.
>
>Isn't the best way to do this to actually compile something simple and
>see if it works rather than testing for existance of the executable?
>Maybe just compile the definition of a global variable.

Maybe.
But from reading the code I'd expect it would work. I don't know how
AC_PATH_PROG works but I guess it should be able to find a program if
its full path is passed, that's the easiest case it could have.
But also, I never understood the autotools stuff really. In the early
Geany days I just copied it from other projects as all others did and
then later I for myself switched to Waf which works way smoother, for
me.

Maybe Erik has an idea.