[Geany-devel] geany bug saving execute commands - filetype none

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Sat Mar 13 12:16:40 UTC 2010

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 09:16:51 +1100
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> > There seems to be a bug in trunk if you edit an execute command field
> > then restart Geany, the changes aren't saved.

> I can only get it to fail if you set the commands when the filetype is none.

Sorry I forgot to mention that ;-) I ought to know better.

> This is because executes are saved in the filetypes file and the function
> filetypes_save_commands() starts at index 1 not 0 so no commands are saved
> for filetype none.
>
> Same happens for the filetype commands as well of course.

The None build commands are disabled in the dialog...

> Options are:
>
> 1. give filetypes none an extension (currently NULL) and let it save
> 2. make filetype and execute rows of the dialog insensitive if the filetype
> is none
>
> I favour option 1 since filetype none is a valid filetype (you can set it
> from the document menu) so why can't a user define commands for a filetype
> that Geany doesn't understand yet.

Yes, I think 1 is better. Supporting filetype & execute commands for
ft None is useful.

On a wider point, I don't think the GUI should limit setting filetype
commands just because the config file has no entries listed - e.g. XML.
The user should still be able to use the dialog to set some commands.

Regards,
Nick