[Geany-devel] Build system 2.0, default configuration dialog

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Mar 11 00:16:46 UTC 2010

On 11 March 2010 04:53, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com>wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 10:52:55 +1100
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The current trunk arrangement has one major problem though, the project
> > settings and the non-project settings are configured in separate dialogs,
> > having settings that interact in different places is very poor user
> > interface design (which I accept responsibility for creating).  I want to
> > put them in one place.
>
> What about just making the 'Build->Set Build Commands' menu item show
> the Project Properties dialog with the Build tab displayed?

I don't want to have a build tab in the project properties dialog any more
since that still shows things in two places, but project  properties can
have a button to show the "set build commands" dialog, then whichever way
you start it, everything is shown.

> > > checkbox
>
> I think this is OK, just squeeze in a checkbox after the working dir
> field. Maybe just the tooltip can explain what it's for?

Ok, I was having trouble fitting it :-)

> Hopefully my button solution (see new mail) should allow this without
> being confusing.

As I said on that one, I'm not sure, but am happy to do it if everyone
thinks its a good idea. I just thought of another alternative, see second
reply to other mail.

> agree

> not sure what you mean, but I think trunk is good.

Hmmm, what I was doing was leaving out the extra commands in the filetype
and non-filetype sections to get back two lines, so the dialog doesn't grow
too much when the three project makes are added.  Although I do most of my
work on a machine with two big screens I also test on a machine with a
little screen and the dialog is getting up there so lets just see what will
fit.

> agree

> It might be worth keeping these. They're shown for the non-project
> dialog anyway.

As above, purely for the reasons of dialog size, also note again that I
don't want a project and a build menu dialog, just one dialog, sorry I
wasn't clearer on this, 8. below attempts to explain why you need to see it
in one place.

> Hmm, I see it would be useful/better but not sure yet. Certainly needs
> to be unobtrusive.

> > > filetypes,
>
> Don't really understand this.

The command that is executed when you activate a build menu item is
determined by the highest priority source that has an operation configured
for that menu item.  Sources (highest to lowest priority order) are:

internal, eg a plugin, not saved by Geany
project filetype entries, from project file
project non-filetype entries, from project file
user filetype entries,from ~/.config/geany/filedefs/filetypes.*
user non-filetype entries, from ~/.config/geany/config.conf
system filetype entries, that is ${prefix}/share/geany/filetypes.*
defaults, hard coded in geany

You can only edit project and user ones so they are the only ones shown in
the dialog normally.  It is important to show both project and user at the
same time since project overrides user and it can get confusing when you
change a setting and have nothing happen (been there done that, even while I
was just testing the trunk version!!). But since entries from the other
sources can also interact, the plugin config dialog has a button to show the
configuration from these sources as well (but insensitive) so that you can
see if they are overriding something you are setting.  This gives the full
"dialog shock" display so I proposed that the simple dialog does not have
this ability.

PS Nick, thanks for your input, its appreciated that you take the time to
think about it and suggest things.