[Geany-devel] Build system 2.0, default configuration dialog

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Wed Mar 10 17:53:14 UTC 2010

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 10:52:55 +1100
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> The current trunk arrangement has one major problem though, the project
> settings and the non-project settings are configured in separate dialogs,
> having settings that interact in different places is very poor user
> interface design (which I accept responsibility for creating).  I want to
> put them in one place.

What about just making the 'Build->Set Build Commands' menu item show
the Project Properties dialog with the Build tab displayed?

> > > 5. for execute commands only, the option to run without terminal,
> > checkbox

I think this is OK, just squeeze in a checkbox after the working dir
field. Maybe just the tooltip can explain what it's for?

> > > Things to not make available (to avoid "dialog shock"):
> > >
> > > 1. edit menu item label

Hopefully my button solution (see new mail) should allow this without
being confusing.

> > > 2. which commands are parsed and which are not
> > > 3. which commands are stopable and which are not

agree

> > > 4. extra commands in sections (propose simple dialog allows editing 2
> > > fieltype,3 make,2 execute)

not sure what you mean, but I think trunk is good.

> > > 5. change internal command locations (next/prev error, show dialog)

agree

> > > 6. project filetype commands (just so the dialog is smaller)

It might be worth keeping these. They're shown for the non-project
dialog anyway.

> > > 7. parsing regex per command, source or global

Hmm, I see it would be useful/better but not sure yet. Certainly needs
to be unobtrusive.

> > > 8. viewing settings from non-editable sources ie default, system
> > filetypes,
> > > plugins/internal

Don't really understand this.

Regards,