[Geany-devel] Edit/Save config files anomaly?

Tony Rick tonyr42 at xxxxx
Wed Mar 3 06:59:36 UTC 2010

At revision 4720.

I'm trying to understand the Tools->Configuration Files Edit/Save behavior,
so that I can mimic that in a plugin that does the same thing for template
files.  When I select *snippets.conf* from the *Configuration
Files*submenu, and there is no
*snippets.conf* in *~/.config/geany (app->configdir)*,  the default  file
from */usr/share/geany (app->datadir)*  is obviously opened, but a Status
message is issued indicating that the file is opened in *~/.config/geany
(app->configdir)*.  I take this to mean that the override convention (files
in *configdir* overriding files of the same name in *datadir)* is being
enforced in the editor.  However, when I save the modified file, using
either the *Save* icon or * File->Save*, I am put into a file save dialog,
as if I had selected* File->Save As*.

Is this the specified behavior?  Having the *File->Save As* dialog appear
when *Save* is specified is confusing and inconsistent. It seems to me that
if the override convention is being enforced, selecting *Save* should write
the modified file to the location reported in the Status window without
question, and the save location dialog only offered specifically when *Save
As* is selected.  If the override convention is not being enforced in the
editor,  then the Status message is misleading.  The manual does not refer
specifically to this behavior, only to the fact that *.conf* can be manually
copied to *configdir* and modified, and will then override the default
file.   I think it is more consistent to have the editor enforce the
override file location policy by default on *Save*, allow *File->Save As *to
be used as an option at the user's discretion, and state the override file
location policy and the editor's enforcement of such clearly in the manual.

- tony