[Geany-devel] Race condition when saving geany.conf

Dimitar Zhekov hamster at xxxxx
Tue Mar 2 19:49:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 22:40:48 +0300
Eugene Arshinov <earshinov at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 20:25:50 +0300%
> Dimitar Zhekov <hamster at mbox.contact.bg> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 16:02:48 +0300
> > Eugene Arshinov <earshinov at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > In short, save <smclientid>.conf files instead of "geany.conf". That
> > will not save any global options, so if you restart the session
> > and then launch a new geany, it will not use such saved options.
> > However, if you launch a geany instance _without_ restarting the
> > session, exactly the same thing will happen.
> >

> And who saves the global options then? We need them written, for being
> read by new instances of geany.

Nobody. Please forget the sessions for a moment - if you launch a new
geany, right now, will any currently unsaved options from your
running geany(s) be magically saved by some primary instance?
No, you'll get what's in geany.conf right now. And you'll get absolutely
the same after you restart.

Want to save some unsaved options, so a newly launched geany will use
them? Just go to the instance you want the options from and do it.
Before or after restart, that doesn't matter.

Saving some "global options" contradicts "restore everything exactly".
While you work, the unsaved options (if any) are not autosaved
on each X minutes or something - so why they should be autosaved only
because there will be some "downtime" before you continue to work?

--
E-gards: Jimmy