[Geany-devel] Command-line option to open a project (was: Questions about Geany project support)

Eugene Arshinov earshinov at xxxxx
Tue Mar 2 13:14:29 UTC 2010

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 22:48:46 +0300%
Dimitar Zhekov <hamster at mbox.contact.bg> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 21:58:38 +0300
> Eugene Arshinov <earshinov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hmm..., here you describe the behaviour when that check button is
> > *checked*, right? I have it checked too, so I know this behaviour. I
> > didn't know what Geany do when the button is unchecked.
>
> Sorry, I should have been more careful.
>
> > > Why such an option exists is not entirely1 clear to me. In the
> > > other development environments/editors I've seen, opening a
> > > project always loads it's files, with or without a quetsion
> > > whether to close the currently open files (if they're not in a
> > > project).
> > >

> > Same for me. But, discussing whether this option is needed or not
> > and cutting it out if it isn't needed would require more efforts
> > than enhancing SM to work properly whether the button is checked or
> > not :-)
>
> Now that I think of it, with "Project Based Session Files" always on,
> and when no project is open, on "Save Yourself" geany SM could create
> a <smclientid>.geany file in the session directory and store the file
> list there. Then, if Geany is started with a smclientid argument, but
> without a project name, it can check for such a file and load it.
>
> There won't be any ambiguity what files to load on startup, and the SM
> support will be based on the Geany session support, so that cursor
> positions in the different files, any explicitly selected file types,
> any Read only flags etc. will be restored - something that can't be
> achieved by storing the file names on the command line.

Storing file list in a file is an option, but it is more difficult then
using the command line. If one needs to implement enhancements like
saving cursor position, she would have no choice, but I have no
such plans (and other developers either, I think). Moreover, using
command-line reveals some troubles with Geany's project handling, and
that's good as otherwise these troubles could remain unnoticed for a
long time.

Best regards,
Eugene.