[Geany-devel] multiple instance save-settings - Re: Race condition when saving geany.conf

Eugene Arshinov earshinov at xxxxx
Tue Mar 2 12:23:31 UTC 2010

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 16:08:18 +0000%
Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 09:05:12 +1100
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > To be easy to implement, perhaps maybe only the first/main
> > > instance should save settings. We could have a Tools->Save Config
> > > menu item enabled for the first instance to allow the user to
> > > restart other instances with the new settings.
> > >

> > I havn't looked in detail at what the -i option does but I assume
> > it doesn't use or accept socket connections.
>
> Yes. The socket code only works for the 'main' instance.
>
> > If so then I assume all Geany commands
> > without the -i  will be the same instance, and this is the one that
> > should be able to save.
>
> (If a second instance of geany is run without passing filenames to the
> first, -i is implied).

I really like this idea. It is simple to understand, rather
convenient and uniform with the behaviour of "new-instances", i.e.,
those instances should not touch any global data, either the default
session or the settings.

> > There needs to be a visual distinction of instances that
> > can & can't save.
>
> I agree, otherwise the user might think there was a bug saving
> settings.

Any proposal for this visual distinction?

> > I wouldn't worry about the other -i instances being able
> > to get settings until the main closes.
>
> This was just an extra feature I personally would find useful
> (force saving settings without quitting). Otherwise you would have to
> quit just to 'update' settings for new instances to read.
>
> Also, force saving settings can be useful when developing (e.g.
> running recent trunk code for real work, as I do to help test it). So
> I don't lose e.g. paragraphs in Scribble due to a segfault.

Agree, that would be useful. I can implement "Tools > Save Config"
myself. At the same time, I won't complain if anyones take this job ;)

Best regards,
Eugene.