[Geany-devel] build plugin - Re: Build system branch 2.0

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Tue Mar 2 12:09:14 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 10:21:27 +1100
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Makes the core smaller ;-)
> >
> > Probably not by much though.
> >

> The build.c in SVN is 500 lines longer than build.c in 0.18.1, which is not
> bad given the increase in functionality (see below for an indication of some
> of the things missing)

I was just backtracking on my comment about core size, not
complaining ;-)

> A rough check says the extra lines are mostly in the dialog, load/save and
> some of the logic sections. I'd hope that much of that will be clawed back
> when the complex dialog goes to a plugin and the logic is simplified.

I'm not worried about size really, just concerned about
simplifying things. But it could be good.

> > I think for the
> > core Execute command(s) a checkbox for whether to run without xterm/VTE
> > per command for GUI programs is good.
> >

> This gives me an opening to start discussion on what functionality should be
> exposed by the core configuration dialog, thanks Nick. ;-)
>
> I actually went back to 0.18.1 and looked at what is available there, and I
> think that the following need to be added, but I'm open to suggestions:

Hmm, this seems quite complicated. You know we accept current trunk as
good, no need to rethink everything.

> 1. edit each of the "make" commands individually (0.18.1 has single setting
> shared by all three)
> 2. edit project build settings (don't exist in 0.18.1) for "make" commands
> only, not filetype
> 3. edit working directory for each command (doesn't exist in 0.18.1)
> 4. if above, remove "make in base path" since its no longer needed
> 5. for execute commands only, the option to run without terminal, checkbox
> (new)
> 6. single shared parsing regex per filetype (hidden setting, not in GUI in
> 0.18.1, this is used for make commands as well based on current document) It
> might be less confusing to have another regex for the make commands as well?
>
> Things to not make available (to avoid "dialog shock"):
>
> 1. edit menu item label
> 2. which commands are parsed and which are not
> 3. which commands are stopable and which are not
> 4. extra commands in sections (propose simple dialog allows editing 2
> fieltype,3 make,2 execute)
> 5. change internal command locations (next/prev error, show dialog)
> 6. project filetype commands (just so the dialog is smaller)
> 7. parsing regex per command, source or global
> 8. viewing settings from non-editable sources ie default, system filetypes,
> plugins/internal

Sorry, I've been thinking about the build system enough already
lately :-p
I can't really take all this in (but I'm a bit stressed
for reasons outside of Geany for the next few months).

Maybe it's better to start a new thread to discuss these things.

> > I might have been a bit pessimistic, probably having a competing build
> > interface will encourage development of both, which would be good for
> > users.
> >

> Yes, but it will take a great deal of firm control to prevent more and more
> functionality from the plugin configuration dialog from migrating into the
> core dialog :-D

Haha ;-)

Regards,
Nick