[Geany-devel] build plugin - Re: Build system branch 2.0

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Mon Mar 1 13:37:06 UTC 2010

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 17:54:31 +0000
Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> > Makes the plugin much bigger and also requires more of the build
>
> Makes the core smaller ;-)

Probably not by much though.

> > functionality to be exposed unless everything is re-implemented in the
> > plugin in which case maintenance is a nightmare to keep them in line.  For
> > example the build_command, build_run _cmd, build_replace_placeholder
> > functions.
>
> Why keep them in line?
>
> Anyway you might be right that it's less work for you if we share
> the build.c functionality. I'm not really convinced that it's necessary
> to have 'delta' level control on each command - I think it would be
> best to improve the core to allow advanced users to do anything they
> want but in a structured way that doesn't confuse basic users.
>
> But don't let me stop you, just wanted to air my thoughts ;-)

Having thought more and feeling a bit less defensive, I think for the
core Execute command(s) a checkbox for whether to run without xterm/VTE
per command for GUI programs is good.

So at least the core might be able to benefit from your changes.

I might have been a bit pessimistic, probably having a competing build
interface will encourage development of both, which would be good for
users.

Regards,
Nick